The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
PB2 Status Report Performance-Based Budgeting Has Produced Benefits But Its Usefulness Can Be Improved, Report No. 98-45, January 1999
Full report in PDF format
Florida’s PB² experience shows that focusing on performance has improved accountability for state programs, has led to better public services, and has produced cost savings. However, agencies need to develop more comprehensive performance measurement systems, improve data quality, and develop more reasonable standards.In addition, the Legislature could make PB² more useful for policy and budget decisions if it
- improved the presentation of PB² information in the budget,
- required agencies to identify how requests for budget changes would affect performance on PB² measures,
- required agencies to develop unit cost measures,
- better aligned the budget structure with the PB² program structure, and
- encouraged agencies to develop higher-level performance measures to improve usefulness of PB² information for policy and budgeting decisions.
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 96-77B Performance-Based Program Budgeting in Florida: Current Status and Next Steps, published in April 1997.
- Report No. 96-77A Performance-Based Program Budgeting in Context: History and Comparison, published in April 1997.
- Report No. 01-05 PB² Commentary: Florida’s Unit Cost Initiative Shows Promise, But Needs Further Development, published in January 2001.
- Report No. 00-15 PB2 Status Report: Recent Initiatives Strengthen Florida's Performance-Based Budgeting System, published in November 2000.
- Report No. 99-01 Bringing Administrative and Support Functions Under Performance-Based Program Budgeting, published in August 1999.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home