The Florida Legislature
OPPAGA script logo
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability

Hamilton School District Saves $550,312 by Implementing Review Recommendations, Report No. 00-05, August 2000
 
Full report in PDF format

Best Financial Management Practices


The 1996 Legislature funded a performance review of the Hamilton County School District.  A private consulting firm that had been selected competitively, MGT of America, Inc., conducted the review in 1997 under contract with OPPAGA.As of March 2000, the Hamilton County School District has implemented or is in the process of implementing 55% of the performance review recommendations.  As a result, the district reports that it has saved $550,312 to date, with additional saDistrict administrators provided several reasons why the school district has chosen not to implement the remaining 45% of the recommendations.  These include other district priorities and perceived undesirable effects of some recommendations.

What were our earlier findings?

Hamilton County School District Performance Review , published in May 1997.

Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?

Public Schools (K-12 Education)
Educational Facilities
Student Transportation
School Improvement, Assessment, and Accountability

What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?

  • Report No. 04-32 Information Brief: Some School Districts Can Take Steps to Reduce Their Food Service Costs and Ensure Self-Sufficiency, published in May 2004.
  • Report No. 04-26 Information Brief: With Effective Planning, Accountability, and Oversight, School Districts Can Successfully Outsource Services, published in March 2004.
  • Report No. 04-10 Information Brief: School Districts Can Take Steps to Substantially Reduce Their Transportation Costs, published in February 2004.
  • Report No. 03-62 Information Brief: School Districts Can Take Steps to Reduce Facility Operating Costs Through Conservation, Productivity, published in November 2003.

Copies of this report in print or alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-1475).
e-mail address: oppaga@oppaga.fl.gov


Reports  |  Home