The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
PB2 Performance Report for the Highway Construction and Engineering Program, Report No. 98-58, February 1999
Full report in PDF format
- The Florida Department of Transportation's Highway Construction and Engineering Program's Fiscal Year 1997-98 performance measures do not help in assessing program efficiency and effectiveness, except in limited terms. Program measures that can be used to assess performance indicate the program maintained over 80% of the pavement and over 90% of bridges on the State Highway System at department standards. Construction contract time and cost overruns continue to be a problem, but appear to have leveled off.
- The department's proposed Fiscal Year 1999-2000 Legislative Budget Request does not include useful input, output, and outcome measures for each of the program's major objectives. The program needs additional performance measures to allow greater accountability for its use of resources and to address all major areas of the department's mission that relates to the program.
- The program's accountability system meets OPPAGA's expectations in two of four areas (data reliability and reporting of information and its use by management). The program's goals or objectives are not clearly and comprehensively defined and performance measures do not adequately assess program performance and need some modifications.
- We provided a draft copy of our report to the Secretary of the Florida Department of Transportation, who concurred, but with some exceptions. (See Appendix C.)
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Planning and Environment
Pre-Construction and Design Services
Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged
Florida Department of Transportation
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 01-44 Progress Report: FDOT Adopts Some OPPAGA Recommendations to Improve Construction and Maintenance Programs, published in September 2001.
- Report No. 99-29 Justification Review of the Highway Construction and Engineering and Transportation System Maintenance Programs, published in January 2000.
- Report No. 99-24 Justification Review of the Public Transportation Program, published in January 2000.
- Report No. 98-86 Justification Review of the Motor Carrier Compliance Program, published in June 1999.
- Report No. 98-60 Florida Department of Transportation's Programs' Performance for Fiscal Year 1997-98, published in February 1999.
- Report No. 98-59 Transportation System Maintenance Program, published in February 1999.
- Report No. 98-57 Toll Operations Program, published in February 1999.
- Report No. 98-56 Right-of-Way Acquisition Program, published in February 1999.
- Report No. 98-55 Public Transportation Program, published in February 1999.
- Report No. 98-54 Motor Carrier Compliance Program, published in February 1999.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home