The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Review of the Administration of Aftercare by the Department of Juvenile Justice , Report No. 95-38, February 1996
Full report in PDF format
All youth released from Department of Juvenile Justice commitment facilities are assigned to aftercare. In aftercare, youth are returned to the community, usually in the home county, to receive supervision and services. The primary purpose of aftercare is to reduce recidivism.
In the past year, the Department has opened over 1,000 new commitment beds. This report, prepared in anticipation of the increased need for aftercare, identifies issues and provides suggestions to the Department for administering aftercare services. The major issues the report addresses are:
- To determine how many aftercare slots are needed, the Department needs to evaluate demand on a county-by-county basis and assess the correlation between length of stay and recidivism.
- Youth in most rural counties receive fewer aftercare services.
- Youth who do not abide by aftercare program rules are not usually returned to residential commitment, although a brief return may be a cost-effective deterrent.
- The Department needs to identify which aftercare components work best to reduce recidivism. Currently, program evaluation is limited because there is not enough information about participants, services, and costs to interpret program outcomes and identify successful program features.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Probation and Community Intervention
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 02-17 Justification Review: Most Delinquents Sent to Community Supervision; Program Could Improve, published in March 2002.
- Report No. 97-10 Follow-up Report on the Aftercare Program Administered by the Department of Juvenile Justice, published in October 1997.
- Report No. 97-07 Follow-up Report on the Community Control Program Administered by the Department of Juvenile Justice, published in September 1997.
- Report No. 95-01 Performance Audit of Community Control, published in July 1995.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports  |  Home