The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Review of the Florida Department of Transportation's Performance in Controlling Cost Overruns and Delays When Building Roads and Bridges , Report No. 95-30, January 1996
Full report in PDF format
- Failing to complete transportation projects on time and within budget has been a chronic problem for FDOT. Projects completed during fiscal year 1994-95 had cost overruns that averaged $450,000 and took an average of 2 1/2 months longer to build than planned. These problems were generally attributable to five factors: 1) errors and omissions in project design plans; 2) inadequate coordination with local governments and utility companies; 3) problems identifying the scope of work that needs to be done; 4) changes made to project specifications after design plans are completed; and 5) damages to construction sites due to extreme weather.
- FDOT is taking steps to address cost overruns and delays. However, additional steps are needed to help minimize these problems, including improving the quality of FDOT's review of design plans and expanding the Department's statutory authority to use innovative contracting methods such as design/build and cost-plus-time bids.
- Report No. 97-22 Follow-up Report on the Florida Department of Transportation's Performance In Controlling Cost Overruns When Building Roads and Bridges (December 1997)
- Report No. 96-85 Review of the Florida Department of Transportation Construction Bid and Contract Administration Process (May 1997); and
- Report No. 96-21 Review of the Florida Department of Transportation's Performance in Controlling Construction Cost Overruns and Establishing Accountability for These Problems (November 1996)
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Highway Construction and Engineering
Pre-construction and Design Services
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 97-22 Follow-Up Report on the Florida Department of Transportation's Performance In Controlling Cost Overruns When Building Roads and Bridges, published in December 1997.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home