The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Performance Audit of the Senior Management Service and the Selected Exempt Service Administered by the Department of Management Services , Report No. 94-22, December 1994
- DMS has not developed procedures for monitoring agency recruitment practices nor adopted rules to guide agencies in selecting Senior Management Service (SMS) and Selected Exempt Service (SES) candidates, although recommended to do so in our 1992 performance audit. DMS plans to implement the 1992 recommendations by June 30, 1995.
- The Department has not fully implemented the 1992 performance audit's recommendations relating to evaluating the implementation of the SMS and SES systems. It has not developed goals and objectives for the SMS and SES nor has it developed a system to evaluate the extent to which goals and objectives are being achieved. DMS reported it will establish goals and objectives for the SMS and SES and will provide information on their achievement in its SMS/SES annual reports.
- We identified and evaluated five alternative approaches the Legislature may wish to consider for the SMS and SES systems. We concluded that the SMS and SES systems should be continued but modified to provide some job security for state employees who take SMS and SES positions. This approach would retain the advantages associated with the current systems while allowing career employees to return to the Career Service System if terminated from the SMS or SES. However, administrative costs would be incurred in returning employees to the Career Service System, and other employees may be negatively affected with the return of high and mid-level managers to the Career Service System.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Human Resource Management
Department of Management Services
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 01-33 Progress Report: DMS Adopts OPPAGA'S Workforce Recommendations; However, a Strong Outsourcing Contract Is Imperative, published in July 2001.
- Report No. 98-13 How Florida Compares: An Approach for Analyzing Government Staffing Levels, published in September 1998.
- Report No. 98-01 Program Evaluation & Justification Review Workforce Program Administered by the Department of Management Services, published in July 1998.
- Report No. 94-38 A Longitudinal Study of Florida's Executive Systems The Senior Management Services and the Selected Exempt Service A Background Information and Data Report, publsihed in March 1995.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home