The Florida Legislature
OPPAGA script logo
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability

Performance Review of the Use of the Public Records Modernization Trust Fund , Report No. 94-04, September 1994
 


  • The Public Records Modernization Trust Fund should be extended for another five years. Since its inception in 1987, the Trust Fund has been the primary funding source for Clerks of the Circuit Court to modernize their public records systems, providing over $42 million for this purpose. Most (83%) Trust Fund expenditures have been used to purchase equipment. The remaining 17% of Trust Funds were spent to maintain equipment, train staff, and obtain technical services.
  • There are several options the Legislature could consider to increase funding for public records modernization. These include raising the Trust Fund service charge, extending the service charge to additional types of public records, and authorizing Clerks to assess the service charge to persons who access public records as well as to those persons who file these documents. These options could potentially produce several million dollars of additional funding for public records modernization but would also increase the public's costs of filing and/or using public records. Clerks could also take actions to reduce their costs of acquiring public records technology by forming purchasing cooperatives or by contracting to share equipment between counties. The potential fiscal impact of these options cannot be reliably estimated.


    Copies of this report in print or alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-1475).
    e-mail address: oppaga@oppaga.fl.gov


    Reports  |  Home