The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Centralizing Aviation Operations and Implementing Cost-Saving Strategies Could Reduce State Spending, Report No. 11-13, March 2011
Full report in PDF format
- Florida state aircraft are decentralized among six state agencies. The Department of Management Services is statutorily authorized to coordinate these agency aviation programs but only serves an advisory role. This fragmented system hinders coordination, reduces efficiency, and increases costs. In addition, some agency practices may increase state costs; these include not seeking cost reimbursement for aircraft services provided to other entities, underutilizing aircraft, and using aging and surplus aircraft.
- The Legislature could consider several options for improving state aircraft management and reducing costs, including centralizing all state aviation programs into a single aviation authority, consolidating all law enforcement aviation operations under a single agency, directing the Department of Management Services to exercise its statutory authority to centralize aviation operations, and creating an agency coordinating council for aircraft management. Each option has advantages and disadvantages as well as varying fiscal impacts.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 11-16 Centralizing Vehicle Fleet Operations and Implementing Cost-Saving Strategies Could Reduce State Spending,published in April 2011.
- Report No. 08-57 Less Costly Alternatives to the Executive Aircraft Pool Exist for State Officials and Employees,published in October 2008.
- Report No. 02-31 Improved State Vehicle Management Could Save Florida up to $2.4 Million Annually,published in May 2002.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports  |  Home