The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
University Implementation and State Oversight of Common Program Prerequisites Has Improved, Report No. 10-43, May 2010
Full report in PDF format
Since our 2008 report, the Board of Governors and Department of Education have reviewed and revised the common program prerequisites and universities are more consistently complying with the revised prerequisites. The Department of Education has taken steps to improve oversight of the common prerequisites policy by monitoring college student transfer problems and has worked with the Florida colleges to help ensure that students complete prerequisites before transferring to universities. The Board of Governors also has taken steps to improve its communication with state universities about the common prerequisites and has strengthened its oversight of the policy. These changes should help facilitate the transfer of Florida college students to upper division programs at universities.
What were our earlier findings?
Report No. 08-11 Inconsistent Implementation of Common Prerequisites Creates Barriers to Effective 2+2 Articulation,published in March 2008.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Student Financial Assistance
Florida College System
Board of Governors
Associate in Arts
State University System
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 10-48 Steps Taken to Improve FACTS; Better Information on Postsecondary Student Use Is Still Needed,published in July 2010.
- Report No. 10-01 Most AA Graduates Pursue Baccalaureate Degrees, but Many Lack Information About Articulation Policies,published in January 2010.
- Report No. 08-25 Postsecondary Student Use of the Florida Academic Counseling and Tracking for Students (FACTS) Is Low,published in April 2008.
- Report No. 07-37 Progress Report: State Policies for Excess Hours Remain Unchanged; Steps Taken to Strengthen Academic Advising,published in September 2007.
- Report No. 05-30 Excess Hours at Community Colleges Warrant Attention by the Department of Education and the Legislature,published in April 2005.
- Report No. 03-66 Progress Report: DOE Could Do More to Reduce Costs by Improving Community Colleges’ Articulation with Universities,published in December 2003.
- Report No. 02-05 Articulation Works for Most Community College Transfer Students, But Some Problems Continue,published in January 2002.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home