The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Lottery Jackpots, Retailer Density, and Advertising Drive Transfers to Education, Report No. 10-17, January 2010
Full report in PDF format
While advertising is critical to maintaining Lottery sales, additional expenditures may have a limited effect on net revenues and transfers to the Florida Educational Enhancement Trust Fund. Lottery ticket sales also are affected by factors such as jackpot amounts and retailer density, which are more highly related to net Lottery profits than advertising expenditures. Florida’s compulsive gambling helpline receives few calls specifically related to the Lottery, and there does not appear to be a link between Lottery advertising spending and Lottery-related calls to the state’s gambling helpline. Instead, Lottery-related calls are more strongly associated with state unemployment rates.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Department of Lottery
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 13-02 Lottery Revenue Has Increased Over the Past Year; Options Remain to Enhance Transfers,published in January 2013.
- Report No. 12-05 Recovery Expected in Lottery Revenue; Options Remain to Enhance Transfers,published in February 2012.
- Report No. 11-12 Lottery Profits Decline; Options Available to
Enhance Transfers to Education,published in March 2011.
- Report No. 10-16 Lottery Profits Flat; Increasing Retailer Outlets Is Critical to Increasing Sales, published in January 2010.
- Report No. 09-14 Lottery Profits Are Slowing with Economic Downturn; Advertising Services and Retailer Commission Rates Need to Be Addressed,published in March 2009.
- Report No. 08-19 Lottery Profits Continue to Increase; Options Available to Enhance Transfers to Education,published in April 2008.
- Report No. 07-09 Lottery Scratch-Off Sales Increase; Options Available to Enhance Transfers to Education,published in February 2007.
- Report No. 06-04 Florida’s Lottery Responding to Revenue, Efficiency, and Minority Retailer Challenges,published in January 2006.
- Report No. 04-80 Lottery Faces Challenges Meeting Future Revenue Demands, Continues Work to Improve Efficiency,published in December 2004.
- Report No. 04-01 Progress Report: Florida Lottery Makes Progress by Implementing Many Justification Review Recommendations,published in January 2004.
- Report No. 03-56 Additional Steps Could Be Taken to Aid Pari-Mutuel Wagering Industry and/or Cut Regulatory Costs,published in October 2003.
- Report No. 02-11 Sale of Lottery Products Program, Department of the Lottery,published in February 2002.
- Report No. 12134 Performance Audit of the Selection of Instant Ticket Retailers Program Administered by the Department of the Lottery ,published in June 1993.
- Report No. 12133 Performance Audit of the Selection of On-Line Retailers Administered by the Department of the Lottery ,published in June 1993.
- Report No. 11933 Performance Audit of the Personnel Program Administered by the Department of Lottery ,published in August 1992.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports  |  Home