The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Expedited State Review Pilot Program Working Well But Faces Challenges, Report No. 08-62, November 2008
Full report in PDF format
- The 2007 Legislature created a pilot program to expedite state review of comprehensive plan amendments proposed by selected local governments. Participating city and county government representatives report that the pilot program has reduced the time needed to approve comprehensive plan amendments. Under statutory timelines, the alternative state review process pilot project reduced the time allotted for state review by 71 days. However, local governments and other stakeholders identified several challenges they faced in implementing the pilot program, including determining how to address reviewing agencies’ comments on proposed amendments, meeting established deadlines, and ensuring public participation in the review process.
- The Legislature may wish to consider four options for continuing or expanding the pilot program. These options include extending the pilot program and re-evaluating it in 2010 after it has operated for a longer period; expanding the pilot program to include cities and counties that are built out; expanding the pilot program to include highly urbanized cities and counties based on their population sizes and densities; and expanding the expedited review process to all local governments.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Department of Economic Opportunity
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 10-53 Most Local Governments Participating in the Expedited Review Process Report Benefits, published in September 2010.
- Report No. 07-47 Local Government Comprehensive Planning Certification Program Has Limited Participation, published in December 2007.
- Report No. 04-14 Status Report: Urban Infill and Redevelopment Areas Have Uncertain Impact But Perceived as Useful, published in February 2004.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home