The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Local Government Comprehensive Planning Certification Program Has Limited Participation, Report No. 07-47, December 2007
Full report in PDF format
- Since the Local Government Comprehensive Planning Certification Program’s creation in 2002, only five of the state’s local governments have chosen to apply for certification. Three local governments were certified by the Department of Community Affairs (cities of Lakeland, Miramar, and Orlando) while two withdrew their applications (cities of Naples and Sarasota). The City of Freeport was certified as a result of a law passed in the 2005 legislative session.
- The four certified cities have been subject to less state and regional oversight of their comprehensive plan amendments which has allowed them to expedite the amendments’ approval. Counties, regional planning councils, and the Department of Community Affairs generally report they did not experience problems as a result of the cities participating in the program.
- Given the low level of participation, the Legislature may wish to consider reviewing the program in the future in conjunction with other recent state initiatives that are also intended to expedite the process of adopting comprehensive plan amendments, such as the Alternative State Review Process Pilot Program. When the Legislature reviews this pilot program, it may also wish to consider whether the Local Government Comprehensive Planning Certification Program be continued or discontinued.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Department of Economic Opportunity
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 10-53 Most Local Governments Participating in the
Expedited Review Process Report Benefits,published in September 2010.
- Report No. 08-62 Expedited State Review Pilot Program Working Well But Faces Challenges, published in November 2008.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home