The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Progress Report: School Readiness Guidance and Communication Improve; Fiscal Issues, Evaluation Need Attention, Report No. 06-60, August 2006
Full report in PDF formatReviews of School Districts School Readiness Overview
- The Agency for Workforce Innovation has improved guidance and technical assistance to the early learning coalitions as well as communication on program requirements and expectations. As a result, coalition executive directors indicate that their satisfaction with the agency’s information and services has increased.
- The agency should continue to take steps to fully address other issues identified in our previous reports. For instance, although the agency has taken some steps to resolve fiscal issues, it should take additional measures to help strengthen the financial condition of coalitions, including making changes to its payment process and addressing reasons why some coalitions continue to experience year-end deficits. In addition, the agency has worked with the Florida Department of Education on a new kindergarten uniform screening instrument to be administered in September 2006, but it has made little progress toward conducting the longitudinal analysis of program outcomes.
What were our earlier findings?
Report No. 04-06 Program Review: School Readiness Program’s Potential Is Beginning to Be Realized, But Is Hindered by Partnership Guidance Issues, published in January 2004.
Report No. 03-75 Information Brief: School Readiness Coalitions’ Progress Varies in Implementing the Program Over Two Years, published in December 2003.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Early Learning Programs
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 12-06 VPK Teachers’ Education Level Does Not Substantially Influence Kindergarten Readiness Scores; Program and Provider Differences Affect Readiness Rates,published in February 2012.
- Report No. 10-57 Steps Taken to Improve the VPK Program; Additional Actions Needed To Increase Program Accountability,published in November 2010.
- Report No. 08-23 61% of Voluntary Prekindergarten Children Are Ready for Kindergarten; Accountability Process Needs Improvement, published in April 2008.
- Report No. 02-61 Progress Report: Child Care Program Implements Recommendations to Improve Licensing and Enforcement Activities, published in November 2002.
- Report No. 02-07 Program Review: School Readiness Program’s Potential Not Realized With Critical Issues Unresolved, published in January 2002.
- Report No. 00-16 Justification Review: Child Care Program Florida Department of Children and Families, published in November 2000.
- Report No. 98-38 Follow-up Review of Early Education and Child Care Programs, published in January 1999.
- Report No. 94-27 Review of Early Education and Child Care Programs: A Fourteen-County Perspective, published in January 1995.
- Report No. 94-25 Performance Review of the Early Education and Child Care Programs Administered by the Florida Department of Education and the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, published in December 1994.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports  |  Home