The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Progress Report: Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco Has Made Improvements, But Additional Steps Are Needed to Increase Efficiency, Customer Service, Report No. 06-46, May 2006
Full report in PDF format
In accordance with OPPAGA’s proposed policy options to either modify or eliminate the alcoholic beverage surcharge, the 2006 Legislature repealed the tax. In addition, the division has implemented several of our recommendations by conducting its underage alcoholic beverage surveys more efficiently, increasing emphasis on the collection of unpaid tobacco taxes, and improving smoking ban complaint investigations. However, several additional improvements are necessary, including
- decreasing the sample size for underage tobacco surveys;
- implementing online license application processing; and
- improving the division’s performance accountability system.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco Regulation
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 05-60 DBPR Re-Engineering Has Achieved Cost Savings, But More Can Be Done to Centralize Functions and Improve Services, published in December 2005.
- Report No. 04-56 Justification Review: Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco Should Improve Primary Functions and Accountability System, published in August 2004.
- Report No. 04-20 Special Report: DBPR Tax Functions Are Appropriately Placed; Expanded Use of DOR Tax Processing System Should Be Considered, published in March 2004.
- Report No. 98-80 DBPR Should Increase Education and Standardization Efforts for On-Premises Alcoholic Surcharge, published in May 1999.
- Report No. 96-62 Review of the Surcharge on Alcoholic Beverages for On-Premises Consumption, published on March 3, 1997.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home