The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Lottery Faces Challenges Meeting Future Revenue Demands, Continues Work to Improve Efficiency, Report No. 04-80, December 2004
Full report in PDF format
- The Florida Lottery is among the highest performing state lotteries, ranking first on two indices of performance measures. However, its revenue growth is flattening out, while programs funded by the Lottery are growing. These trends are exacerbated by developments in other gambling industries, and the Lottery faces substantial challenges to maintaining revenue growth. The Lottery has numerous options to create new or enhanced games as well as improve its market penetration and marketing efforts, and it is pursuing some of these options.
- The Lottery should continue taking steps to reduce its lease of excess office and warehouse space. Subletting excess warehouse space at its headquarters location has the potential to save $300,000 annually, while subletting excess office space could save up to $700,000 annually.
- The Lottery should work with the Center for Efficient Government to continue to develop its business case proposal to competitively source its field support operations, and it should consider other in-house functions for competitive sourcing. Currently, the Lottery is recommending a new competitive bid that would prolong its evaluation beyond the 2005-06 fiscal year.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Department of Lottery
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 13-02 Lottery Revenue Has Increased Over the Past Year; Options Remain to Enhance Transfers,published in January 2013.
- Report No. 12-05 Recovery Expected in Lottery Revenue; Options Remain to Enhance Transfers,published in February 2012.
- Report No. 11-12 Lottery Profits Decline; Options Available to
Enhance Transfers to Education,published in March 2011.
- Report No. 10-17 Lottery Jackpots, Retailer Density, and
Advertising Drive Transfers to Education,published in January 2010.
- Report No. 10-16 Lottery Profits Flat; Increasing Retailer
Outlets Is Critical to Increasing Sales,published in January 2010.
- Report No. 09-14 Lottery Profits Are Slowing with Economic Downturn; Advertising Services and Retailer Commission Rates Need to Be Addressed, published in March 2009
- Report No. 08-19 Lottery Profits Continue to Increase; Options Available to Enhance Transfers to Education, published in April 2008.
- Report No. 07-09 Lottery Scratch-Off Sales Increase; Options Available to Enhance Transfers to Education, published in February 2007.
- Report No. 06-04 Florida’s Lottery Responding to Revenue, Efficiency, and Minority Retailer Challenges, published in January 2006.
- Report No. 04-01 Progress Report: Florida Lottery Makes Progress by Implementing Many Justification Review Recommendations, published in January 2004.
- Report No. 03-56 Justification Review: Additional Steps Could Be Taken to Aid Pari-Mutuel Wagering Industry and/or Cut Regulatory Cost, published in October 2003.
- Report No. 02-11 Justification Review: Sale of Lottery Products Program, Department of the Lottery, published in February 2002.
- Report No. 12134 Performance Audit of the Selection of Instant Ticket Retailers Program Administered by the Department of the Lottery, published on June 24, 1993.
- Report No. 12133 Performance Audit of the Selection of On-Line Retailers Administered by the Department of the Lottery, published on June 23, 1993.
- Report No. 11933 Performance Audit of the Personnel Program Administered by the Department of Lottery, published on August 12, 1992.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: email@example.com
Reports  |  Home