The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
DCF’s Lead Agency Readiness Assessment Process Meets Statutory Requirements, But Needs Strengthening, Report No. 04-15, February 2004
Full report in PDF format
Although the Department of Children and Families’ new process to determine district and lead agency readiness meets legislative intent, the process should be strengthened to better ensure that community-based providers are ready to assume responsibility for child welfare services. While the department is taking steps to improve the process, it should also further improve its readiness instrument and require lead agencies to submit business plans before finalizing its contracts with these organizations. Finally, the department should strengthen its data and accountability monitoring systems. As required by law, we will continue to monitor department progress in future reviews.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Department of Children and Families
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 07-11 Improved Fiscal and Quality Oversight Is Needed for the Independent Living Program, published in February 2007.
- Report No. 06-50 Child Welfare System Performance Mixed in First Year of Statewide Community-Based Care, published in June 2006.
- Report No. 06-05 Additional Improvements Are Needed as DCF Redesigns Its Lead Agency Oversight Systems, published in January 2006.
- Report No. 05-61 Improvements in Independent Living Services Will Better Assist State’s Struggling Youth, published in December 2005.
- Report No. 05-47 Progress Report: Child Welfare Legal Services Makes Some Improvements, But Other Changes Needed, published in September 2005.
- Report No. 05-40 Progress Report: After Further Delay, DCF Redesigning Child Welfare Training and Taking Steps to Clarify Case Transfer, published in August 2005.
- Report No. 04-78 OPPAGA Report: Independent Living Minimum Standards Recommended for Children in Foster Care, published in November 2004.
- Report No. 04-65 OPPAGA Report: DCF Improves Readiness Assessment Process; However, Additional Changes Are Needed, published in September 2004.
- Report No. 03-09 Progress Report: Child Protection Program Makes Needed Changes But Lacks Data for Evaluating Results of Initiatives, published in January 2003.
- Report No. 02-16 Progress Report of Justification Review: Child Protection Program, Department of Children and Families, published in March 2002.
- Report No. 01-14 Justification Review: Child Protection Program, published in March 2001.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports  |  Home