The Florida Legislature
Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
Adherence to Florida's Child Support Guidelines Appears to Be Improving, Report No. 02-13, February 2002
Full report in PDF format
- Based on our sample of child enforcement cases, judges awarded child support obligations in accordance with the statutory guidelines in 91% of the cases administered by the Department of Revenue and in 52% of the private support orders issued in Florida. This represents an improvement since our examination in 1998 when only 63% of the cases administered by the Department of Revenue and 43% of the private support orders issued in Florida were in compliance with the statutory guidelines.
- However, 12% of the case files administered by the Department of Revenue and 46% of the private case files lacked evidence that guideline amounts for child support had been calculated. In addition, 57% of the case files administered by the Department of Revenue and 90% of the private case files that deviated from Florida’s guidelines did not have documentation describing the reasons for awarding a different child support award.
- To continue to improve the level of adherence to Florida’s child support guidelines and also facilitate future compliance monitoring, we recommend that the Legislature require that child support guideline calculation information and the judges’ reasoning for significant deviations from the calculated amount be included in child support orders.
Which Government Program Summaries contain related information?
Department of Revenue (DOR)
What other OPPAGA-related materials are available?
- Report No. 00-20 Program Status Report: Child Support Guidelines Schedule Should Reflect Current Economic Conditions, published in December 2000.
- Report No. 97-63 Review of Adherence to Child Support Guidelines, published in March 1998.
Copies of this report in print or
alternate accessible format may be obtained by telephone (850/488-0021), by FAX (850/487-9213), in person, or by mail (OPPAGA Report
Production, Claude Pepper Building, Room 312, 111 W. Madison St., Tallahassee,
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports  |  Home